Liverpool 'could be BANNED from playing at Anfield' if fans don't stop partying in the streets

Liverpool 'could be BANNED from playing at Anfield' if fans don't stop partying in the streets

Liverpool could be banned from playing their remaining home games at Anfield unless fans stop partying in the streets, according to reports.

The club joined Merseyside Police, the City Council and mayor Joe Anderson in condemning some of their own supporters' behaviour after thousands flooded to Pier Head in the city centre to celebrate the team's success – despite repeated warnings over the spread of the coronavirus.

And now according to The Sun, the club could have their stadium's safety certificate revoked by the local Ground Safety Advisory Group if the wild celebrations continue.

Liverpool have three more home games where they will host Aston Villa on Sunday, then Burnley before Chelsea on the penultimate weekend of the season.

The match against Chelsea is when the Premier League plan on presenting the trophy to Jurgen Klopp's men.

However, recent events could force Jordan Henderson and Co to lift the trophy at a neutral venue should the celebrations in the city centre continue.

It comes after jubilant fans took to the streets on Merseyside to celebrate Liverpool's Premier League title win, which saw supporters gathering in the city centre and ignored social-distancing rules, while mounds of rubbish were left once the crowds had dispersed.

The Liver Building, one of the city's most iconic structures, was even filmed briefly being set alight after an individual appeared to target it with a firework, which led to the club and other authorities releasing a damning statement, describing the unsavoury incidents as 'wholly unacceptable'.

It read: 'Throughout the last week, Liverpool Football Club, Merseyside Police, Liverpool City Council and Spirit of Shankly have worked together to consistently remind people that the region is still disproportionately affected by the Covid-19 pandemic and ask people to celebrate LFC's Premier League title win safely.

'Several thousand people turned up at the Pier Head on Friday, June 26 and some chose to ignore the social distancing guidance and risk public safety.

'Our city is still in a public health crisis and this behaviour is wholly unacceptable.

'The potential danger of a second peak of Covid-19 still exists and we need to work together to make sure we don't undo everything that has been achieved as a region during lockdown.

'When it is safe to do so, we will all work together to arrange a victory parade when everyone can come together to celebrate.

'Until that time, the safety of our city and our people continues to be our number one priority.'

Merseyside Police chief constable Andy Cooke later confirmed that 15 people were arrested for 'violent disorder' during Friday night's scenes.

His statement read: 'Those who gathered last night have potentially increased the danger of a further rise in the pandemic. In addition, the actions of the minority were not only irresponsible, but also criminal.

'It is tarnishing the reputation of our city and Liverpool Football Club.

'Last night children and families were present alongside others, and heavy handed police intervention was therefore not appropriate at the time.

'Later on in the night, 15 people were arrested for violent disorder and my officers were subjected to a number of violent confrontations. This is not acceptable.'

The Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, urged people in response to leave the area and delivered the stark warning that the city had already lost 'far too many people to the illness'.

The masses had descended on Pier Head, but the night was marred with a number of injuries.

Merseyside Police officers attempted to disperse the crowds across the night, but there were also further reports of violence and vandalism.

A police helicopter was reportedly heard over the city centre around 2am as officers attempted to seize control of the situation, with ambulances also spotted at the waterfront to assist.

Officers were given the power to break up the large gatherings through a Dispersal Order, which was issued around the centre of the city.

The official figures concerning the state of the pandemic in Liverpool shows 544 registered coronavirus-related deaths up to June 12.

There were 1,677 cases altogether up to June 25.

On Thursday night, around 5,000 supporters ringed Anfield to celebrate before police sealed off nearby roads.

A handful of police vans and uniformed officers were stationed around the stadium, and the fervent atmosphere was peaceful despite the lack of social distancing.

Liverpool's barren run of top-flight success was banished with Manchester City suffering defeat at Stamford Bridge, and Jurgen Klopp's men were filmed enjoying themselves at a secret base after watching the game together.

The table toppers have suffered just one defeat all season on their path to glory, and the players revelled in their success before emerging the next morning bleary-eyed.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post